Happy holidays, all! Though it’s December and 2008 is drawing to a close, it’s time to start thinking about 2009 aquatic pursuits (not to mention those New Year’s resolutions to get in better shape). So I’ve compiled a short list of events that are mostly in the Mid-Atlantic states. You may want to consider making your open-water swim goal. And because we’re posting them here, there’s a chance the authors of this blog are considering or will enter them. That means you could have partners in aquatic crime. And isn’t it easier to sign up for a race knowing you’re not alone?
Thanks to Elizabeth for being instrumental in perusing the web to find many of these events!
- Nanticoke River 3-Mile Swim – 62 degrees. Early May. Nanticoke, MD.
- Reston Swims – 1- and 2-mile swims in Lake Audubon. (You can always sign up for both.) 350 swimmer limit per race. Always a sellout. Memorial Day weekend.
- Great Cheseapeake Bay Swim – 4.4-mile event full; 1-mile challenge still has room. A great way to get a feel for the Bay without doing the full 4.4.
- FS 1-Mile Open-Water Swims – Start in April. You need a USAT membership or you pay the $10 fee. Raleigh, NC.
- NC Open-Water State Championships – I could only find links for information on 2007 and 2008’s events, but the NC Championship is comprised of a 2K, 3K, 5K, 10K, and a 10K relay. Early June. More information posted as soon as NC masters opens entry.
- Potomac River 7.5-Mile Swim – Late May. No 2009 information yet.
- Lady Liberty Swim – 1.3 miles. Hudson River Park, New York City. Memorial Day weekend.
- Chattanooga Rat Race – 4.5 miles. Same weekend as Bay Swim.
- Pensacola 3-Mile Bridge Swim – May 16. Aquathon option.